Monday, October 09, 2006

I can't believe that I haven't told you about this yet BUT 6 of the Lost Boys of Sudan live upstairs on the 2nd floor of our apartment building...they are amazing and some of the most genuine, polite and nice people you will ever meet. Last week they invited us to a forum on Darfur and Refugees from Burma to Africa. Stacey and I went and it was amazing. We heard a group of 6 students talk about their experience walking from LA to DC in order to raise awareness about genocide. We heard a Senator speak about the patriot act and the bill that she passed and we heard testimony from a HS student from Sudan who brought her story home to us, she explained how the world we live in is nothing close to the real world she came from and a man from Burma spoke about his experience and still, 15 years later was extremely emotional about it. It was an amazing experience that I wish I could have shared with all of you.

At the end of the forum we were able to view a photo exhibit from Sudan. I have seen Brian Steedle speak and show his photographs from the ground in Sudan but these pictures were different. They spoke to me differently, one picture still lurkes in the back of my mind of a little boy maybe 1-2 years old with a look on his face that little children should never have. I saw terror, fear and horror in this little boys face as he lay sucking his thumb. I saw pictures of some of the most beautiful children laughing and dancing and the same pictures of them starving and dying.

Learn about the Lost boys and about refugees all thoroughout the World, the stories and testimonies and injustices and hate you will learn about will move you and transorm you, I promise you. Dare yourself, challenge yourself, to do something for those who have no voice. I DARE you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home