Wednesday, October 04, 2006

*From September 27, 2006*

Oh, how I miss you all so much! I hope everyone is happy and healthy! It has been a busy 2 weeks or so here in Chi-Town.

Well, lets start with work. It is still going well! As I am learning and having trouble accepting, down time is a good thing! This past Saturday was the first Home Delivery Saturday that I had a pretty big hand in running. All went smoothly except we had a few people call and thought they ordered food but didn't and then we had some wrong addresses but all went well besides that so I was happy! I have also been doing more intake at the desk during distribution times at both of the pantry's and this is one of my favorite times of the day. I love to see, meet and talk to theclients one on one, I thrive on the times I get to interact with the clients. I went to an agency conference at the Greater Chicago Food Depository, which is a massive place, and Lakeview Pantry won an award for Quality Performance, it was exciting. I also attended workshops for volunteer management and getting your name out there so people know who you are. It was pretty cool. I am currently working on food and fund raising for the upcoming Holidays. I have to research 10 new places to ask to hold drives which really means 20 or 30 because if I pick10 and ask only 10, about 2 or 3 will actually do it! It has been a bit of a project becuase I don't really know places that are around yet but it is a learning experience. Still loving it though!

As for the community, it has got to be the most difficult of the 4 values of JVC. Actually the 2nd most, Spirituality is extremely challenging but community is a very close second. we had our JVC: Chicago potluck on Sunday. We had to invite about 200 people but only about 50 showed up. We decided to send the invites in postcard form and Stacey and I, of course, ended up being the ones to cut them and take them to a postoffice and get them sent. So, just and fyi, in Chicago they apparently do not have self-adhesive postcard stamps so we licked 166 stamps...needless to say, the boys heard about it for days and will never hear the end of it! But the potluck went really well. It was nice to meet new people, the JVC world is so small. I met someone who did a year in LA and worked on Skid Row so we chatted for a bit and I met someone else from Cali I met so many amazing people, it was just great and not to mention our fridge is no longer bare! We have So many left-overs which is absolutley fabulous, even better, we don't have to cook this week!! The weather is slowly getting chilly here, fall is beautiful though. The trees are slowly changing and the sun is out all the time although it is windy the air is so crisp and clean, i'm loving it! I hear about the weather there though and am jealous! We have Spirituality night tonight, I always look forward to it but have yet to be fulfilled by our Spirituality nights. you are all in my thoughts and prayers daily. I wish you the best for the rest of this week and weekend. Many blessings and much love, send your warm thoughts this way :) XOXOXO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home